Hunger, poverty and malnourishment is a rampant issue in our country. In the 2020 Global Hunger Index, India ranked 94th out of the 107 countries listed. 14 percent of the Indian population is undernourished.
On top of this, the COVID-19 pandemic has served a deadly blow to the hunger crisis of the country. What started off as a health crisis soon turned into a livelihood crisis — subsequently into a hunger and malnutrition catastrophe, especially for the ones in the lower rungs of the society.
The pandemic has led to an increase in food insecurity, pushing millions of people into the vicious cycles of economic stagnation and loss of livelihood.
Committed to bringing about a positive change in the society, Donatekart, India’s most transparent and trusted platform, has been working in tandem with over 50 NGOs across the country since to help alleviate the hunger crisis in India.
Since its inception, one of the major things that we wanted to focus on is creating a tangible difference:
- Hence, the emphasis on donating towards products needed by the NGO, so you always know where your money is going. We procure the required products and deliver them directly to the NGO’s doorstep. No monetary transactions between us and our NGO partners — no fear of your money being misused.
- We also keep our donors informed with the latest updates for the cause they have donated — you will know exactly what products have been procured, when they have been delivered and how they have been used by the NGO.
Freeing India from the clutches of hunger is a herculean task. But with a dedicated army of do-gooders, the dream looks more and more achievable.
- Functioning across entire India, Seva Kitchen has been a significant partner of ours who have helped us feed thousands of hungry and malnourished people. It began as an initiative to make meals accessible to relatives of patients in a hospital. Today, they cater to hunger needs on a much wider spectrum. The core value of Seva — the desire to serve or selfless giving remains the same. They have 3 initiatives at Seva Kitchen — Neki Ka Pitara, Cook and Serve and Pay for a Meal Forward.
- Based in Lucknow, Vishalakshi Foundation was established in January 2019 by Nilay Agarwal, a philanthropist, with the insight of setting up a dream society where everyone enjoys basic right to education, food, good health, respect and dignity. It aims to serve the unprivileged portion of the society by providing basic amenities of life and instilling in them the zeal to dream big.
- Khaana Chahiye Foundation was formed with a mission to cater to the unmet food demand of those in need in the city of Mumbai during the Covid-19 crisis. What started as a citizen-led initiative in March 2020 soon evolved into a volunteer driven organisation striving to eliminate hunger in Mumbai.
- Anubhuti Trust was started by Deepa Pawar to work towards the upliftment of nomadic communities.. They have been working to provide families with grocery kits that will last them for a month during the pandemic. They also provide mental health counselling and help the community with health emergencies. They serve communities in Maharashtra.
- Humanity First Foundation was founded by Mohammed Shujatullah. They serve nearly 1000+ needy people free healthy breakfast at 3 government hospitals every day. It was started in 2016 and is based out of Hyderabad. Their mission is to eradicate hunger regardless of caste or creed. They also serve orphanages in addition to the hospitals. During the current crisis, they have ramped up their operations to help those in need.
During the pandemic, Donatekart has successfully delivered over 10 lakhs of grocery and food kits to the ones in need. This was possible because of our wonderful NGO partners who have joined hands with us in this noble mission to free India from hunger.
You can donate to similar causes here.