Getting the Covid-19 vaccine is on everyone’s to-do list right now. Most conversations revolve around getting a vaccine slot, the side effects, and the benefits among others. Naturally, there are plenty of questions everyone has about getting the first shot. It can be scary, there are a bunch of things to keep in mind and plenty of information out there — everyone has something different to say.
But we’re here to make it a little easier for you. Here are some things you can do before, during, and after getting your vaccine.
Before getting the vaccine:
- Know your vaccine: Covishield, launched by the Serum Institute of India, and
Covaxin by Bharat Biotech is available in India right now. The imported brand Sputnik V recently received approval for use here.
- Consult your doctor in case you have any allergies
- Avoid taking the vaccine on an empty stomach
- Stay hydrated and get enough sleep
- Carry the ID you used for registration
While getting the vaccine:
- Wear your N95 mask or double mask, face shield, and keep a sanitizer handy
- Wear a sleeveless or short-sleeved shirt or dress to facilitate getting the injection on your arm.
- Communicate your medical history to a healthcare worker and ask them about side effects
-Note the type of vaccine you received to book the second dose.
After getting the vaccine:
- Wait at the vaccination centre for 30 minutes for monitoring
- Drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated
- Take rest. You are likely to experience minor side effects like fever, fatigue, headache, or body pain.
- Take paracetamol if you experience symptoms
- Keep in mind the date of your second dose of vaccination and try to get a slot accordingly
- Continue taking all safety precautions even after you’re fully vaccinated
Remember to consult your doctor if you have any preexisting conditions. The right kind of information from the right source (medical professionals) will go a long way. Stay calm and know that this is the first step in fighting the virus.